The Arc Pikes Peak Region is currently seeking to fill an Outreach Specialist position. Please see the job description below. To apply for this position, please email your resumé and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summary of Functions:
Counsels and aids individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families requiring the assistance of social service agency: Interviews clients with problems, such as personal and family adjustments, finances, employment, food, clothing, housing, and physical and mental impairments to determine nature and degree of the problem. Secures information, such as medical, psychological, and social factors contributing to participant’s situation, and evaluates these and participant’s capacities. Counsels participant individually, in family, or in other small groups regarding plans for meeting needs, and aids client to mobilize inner capacities and environmental resources to improve social functioning. Refer consumers to available community resources and other disability organizations. Assist in the development and review of service and health care plans. Works closely with Advocacy Specialist and Guardianship Specialist in assisting participants to navigate the disability service system.
Provide advocacy for children and adults participants with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) to ensure their rights are protected and their needs are met and their wants are heard. Ensure that (I/DD) participants are receiving fair and just treatment and equal representation. Maintain confidentiality with (I/DD) participants and The Arc’s business both inside the office and in the community.
Reports to: Advocacy Coordinator
Essential Job Duties:
Community Liaison & Advocacy
• Work closely with other Social Services agencies to provide access to Health and Personal Development opportunities
• Work closely with Criminal Justice Advocacy Specialist advocating on behalf of adults and youth offenders, assisting with navigating the disability system and with probation/parole follow-up
• Facilitate healthy living and relationship development workshops for individuals with I/DD
• Collaborate with Guardianship Coordinator in developing future planning series related to health & wellness
• Refer (I/DD) participants or their representative(s) who are requesting assistance to the resources that are most appropriate for their needs.
• Assist (I/DD) participants and their family/friend support system in understanding choices, their rights as individuals, the services and opportunities available to them and the implications of any of their decisions.
• Assist participants with Medicaid and comprehensive resource enrollment
• Assist host home providers in coordinating medical, dental, behavioral, psychiatric, and other needed services to the consumer in collaboration with the Guardianship Specialist
• Maintain all client information and records according to agency policies and procedures.
• Record all documentation needed to demonstrate the results of activities as they relate to desired outcomes.
• Provide Monthly report to the Advocacy Coordinator.
• Represent the interests of The Arc and its constituents as needed at community meetings, organizations, etc.
• Represent The Arc’s values and beliefs in a fair and effective manner at all times and during all community interactions.
• As assigned, participate actively in community efforts, task forces or on specific committees.
• Participate in social events hosted or sponsored by The Arc-PPR.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to assess human service needs and appropriate interventions.
• Knowledge of issues facing people with I/DD disabilities and appropriate service system interventions necessary to receive help.
• Knowledge of the I/DD and Community Living
• Knowledge of General Psychology and Human Health & Nutrition
• Knowledge of human sexuality, individual and family development and the role of physical health
• At a minimum, Associates Degree in a Health Science field plus 2 years’ experience in the I/DD field.
• Preferred Bachelors of Science in a Health Science related field with experience in a related I/DD field.
• A current, valid driver’s license and valid automobile insurance required.
• Pass background check and pre-employment drug test
Part-time (25-30 hrs. week)